Keep These Tips in Mind to Stay Safe Online
October is a time to start thinking about football season and cooler weather, but it also is cyber security month. Running a business can be a somewhat dangerous endeavor at times, which is why it’s always important for you and your employees to stay safe online. At Unified Network Group, we help businesses and organizations with all their cyber security needs and in doing so we’re well versed in best practices for protecting you, your colleagues as well as your network infrastructure from cyber threats.
4 Tips to Stay Safe Online
Keep the following tips in mind when it comes to staying safe online during cyber security month, as well as all year long.
- Beware of phishing attacks – Phishing is the act of individuals pretending to be trustworthy and convincing you to navigate to a website to steal your personal information. Phishing attacks typically come via emails that look incredibly legitimate, but are completely fake and are purposefully well designed to steal your information.
- Maintain strong passwords – It’s incredibly important that you create strong passwords that include at least a symbol, a number and one capital letter. The more complex your password, the harder it will be for hackers to gain access to your accounts. It’s also important to avoid using the same password for all of your accounts, because then if a hacker were to gain access to one account they could quickly login to other confidential accounts as well.
- Use multi-factor authentication – As an additional way to secure data you should consider using multi-factor authentication. This only allows you to login to a device or service if you have provided at least two forms of identification. This makes it harder for someone to impersonate you online and gain access to your personal information.
- Partner with an experienced managed IT provider – It’s important that you partner with an experienced managed IT provider who can help you to traverse the constantly changing cyber security requirements. You should consider this an investment rather than a cost as it can prevent you from having to dedicate significant resources to a cyber security event should your organization ever be hacked.
- All virus scanners aren’t the same – Beware of free antivirus programs that can give you a false sense of security. While these solutions are often better than nothing, they typically don’t have the robust virus and malware protection that is included with more advanced cyber security offerings. At Unified Network Group, we can help you to choose reputable vendors that will ensure your machines are adequately protected.
- Backup your data – Whether it’s from a cyber attack or hardware failure, data loss can and will happen. If it hasn’t happened to you as of yet, your days could be numbered. It’s incredibly important that you have an adequate back up and disaster recovery plan in place to ensure your data is always safe and secure.
Is Your Company Adequately Protected from Cyber Threats?
At Unified Network Group, we work hard each and every day to keep our client’s businesses running. Today more than ever, most businesses rely heavily on computers and the Internet, which is why it’s so important to take some time this month to ensure your organization is properly protected against cyber attacks. If you’re interested in a consultation with one of our cyber security experts to determine if there are any holes in your network infrastructure, don’t hesitate to reach out to our team today by email or phone at 864-278-0202.